Wow – I can’t believe it has already been 5 years at Microsoft. I have had a great time here and learned so much from the smart and passionate people I work with as well as the incredible developer community around .NET. But I have decided it is time for me to try something new – so my last day at Microsoft will be Friday, June 25th.
I’ve had a fun run here at Microsoft and it has always involved the community in one way or another:
- Channel 9 – Thanks to Jeff Sandquist for starting my career at Microsoft as a developer on the Ch9 team. Back in those days the team was Jeff, Robert Scoble, Charles Torre, David Shadle and myself. And now the team has grown into a division of both content creators and developers. Amazing to see the growth in such a short time.
- Microsoft Gadgets – Community server spun-off with a custom Showcase Gallery back from the Windows Vista days.
- Channel 10 – a spin-off of Channel 9 in the direction of tech enthusiasts. This project had a very short lead time and we started from scratch, so it was definitely a rush putting it together and exciting because of that fact. A quick shout-out to the dev team from back in the day – Erik Porter, Duncan Mackenzie, Mike Sampson
- MIX websites – (MIX06 – MIX08) Always a labor of love for my favorite Microsoft conference.
- Channel 8 – (now the Student Lounge) Another Ch9 spin-off that went in the direction of students and academics.
- Silverlight 1 evangelism – XAML in the browser and cross-platform – amazing! Thanks to Tim Sneath for taking me under his wing.
- Silverlight 2 evangelism – .NET in the browser and a control model – wonderful!
- Continuum Show – Exploring the world of the Microsoft Client Continuum and Adam Kinney’s personal idea on how to make videos for Channel 9.
- Project Rosetta – Have Flash skills? Learn how to use them with Silverlight
- Silverlight 3 evangelism – Blend and Sketchflow hit the big time, behaviors, better databinding and out of the browser – rocking!
- Silverlight TV – John Papa’s show on Ch9 where I acted as head cheerleader and occasional guest.
- .toolbox – Free training courses on design principles and learning how to apply those principles with Silverlight and Blend
- Silverlight and Expression 4 launch – Silverlight out-of-browser story complete, devices, printing – hooray! Blend 4 smoother than ever before and can I get a “PathListBox”? PATHLISTBOX!
Another way my time was spent, was attending the variety of different events. It’s always fun to talk to people face to face and learn first-hand the thoughts and needs of the community. This was definitely a highlight of my job and reminded me why we do what we do. To list a few of the events here: MIX06-MIX10, PDC05-PDC09, REMIX events (especially European tour 09), the recent Silverlight Design Days/.toolbox Blend events and many more.
All right, enough listing of my history and favorite moments, so what’s next?
I’m going to enjoy the summer by road tripping with my family to Denver and back before starting my next endeavor. I will continue to be involved with the Silverlight and Expression Blend (my love!) community, so I won’t be going too far.
Email: contact me